25 June 2009

football: tim howard

It's no secret that part of the reason I watch international football has markedly less to do with national pride and more to do with, well, the cuteness of the players. I've had a soft spot for footballers ever since that 8 am calculus class with half of my undergraduate soccer team. So, it's not suprising that I find Tim Howard attractive.

I find the whole USMNT dropped dead gorgeous, however, when they manage to pull off wins like they did against Spain yesterday in Bloemfontein, South Africa. (Side bar: I'm really enjoying saying the word Bloemfontein for unknown reasons.) It was remarkable. They shouldn't have won. They had just slinked their way into the semi-finals. As much as I love the USMNT, they weren't the best team on the field last night. They didn't control the ball, they didn't have the finesse of Spain, or the speed. But, none of that mattered. They held the line. The whole team held the line, diving in front of balls, players, and everything else. Tim Howard was a big part of that.

No comments: