22 May 2008

corporate america: receptionist

I usually temp during the summers. I like the change of pace, and teaching even one summer course--if you can get one--really burns you out for the fall. I, at least, need to switch gears. I like temping because I get met lots of people, work in places I would never normal go to, explore downtown (most of my jobs are in downtown Dallas), and not get involved in office politics. The downside is that most of my jobs are receptionist positions. Now, I don't mind answering phones, but I'm not the best at it. And, these jobs tend to be a lot of waiting and hurry up. The job is at its worst when it's a one day gig. You aren't there long enough to really help the receptionist who is out, so all you can do is sit there and wait for the phone to ring and read or surf the internet. It's not bad, but I always hate just sitting there waiting for the phone to ring. The real receptionist has a whole slew of duties that are going undone, but because you are only there for 8 hours, no one expects you to do any of them. I had one job where the receptionist had a whole system of task reminders set up on the computer. It was really nice because it meant that at the very least I knew when to go and clean up in the kitchen and set the coffee pot up for the next day. The best positions were the one at a foundation and as a backup receptionist. The backup job meant I only answered phones during lunch and breaks. Otherwise, I was doing work for HR. I love HR work. The foundation was the best pure receptionist position. I was supposed to be the first person that anyone who walked in the door saw, so I had to look sharp. When guests came, I actually got to be a host, offering coffee or snacks and setting them up in one of the elegant meeting rooms. The phone system was a dream; it was computerized, so I didn't have to muck around with looking up people's extension numbers. I could read during the times when it was quiet. I actually had a lovely day answering phones and reading North and South while it poured buckets outside. However, there was enough going on that I didn't feel like I was just occupying a chair.

No comments: