29 May 2008

film: sex and the city and potluck

I'll probably end up seeing the Sex and the City movie even though I was never a devotee of the show. I liked it, but it never resonated for me the way shows like Gilmore Girls did. I have a more prep bohemian ethos than a designer one. At any rate, my friend SC is and her birthday is this weekend, so we'll more than likely see the show.

Funnily enough, a point made in the Washington Post review about the show spawning gaggles of women imitating the show struck home. We had a potluck birthday last week and two of the girls who only come occasionally really seemed to want to make it more salacious than a potluck event usually is. Potluck, even at a restaurant, is more about being silly and giving than about being fashionable or anything else. Group dynamics in such a large collection of women (roughly 12) who are all at different stages of life is odd at best.

No comments: