13 May 2008

reading: blogs I read and why

The first step in entering the blogosphere is the lurking step. At least it was for me. You begin small; you read one or two blogs on a regular basis. Then you get sucked into other blogs because the writers you like read these other people. Or, in my case, your brother sends you enough links from these other blogs that you end up reading that blog to avoid the email overload. At any rate, your one or two blogs becomes a lot more. Then, you starting posting. And, in my case, you begin your own blog because you want to be part of this strange virtual conversation. It's Burkean, to be sure.

All of this to draw your attention to the updated blog roll on the Crafting Authority page and to say that my blog reading is relatively eclectic. I read a number of political blogs: Andrew Sullivan, Matt Yglesias, TPM, the Plank, and Swampland. I also read a number of television blogs: Michael Ausiello, Matt Rousch, Watch with Kristin, and Zap2it.com. Then there are the odd little blogs. I'm passionately fond of Maxwell Eaton III's blog. He's a children's artist, and I love his daily drawings. During the dissertation process those drawings were a bright spot. I also cannot say enough about Quiet Bubble, which is the blog of an old friend of mine. I've always loved his writing, and I'm esctatic that he's sharing his voice with the blogosphere. There's also my brother's blog, The Oddity Odyssey. Be warned, he's a cranky man, but he always has the coolest tecnology links. I so want to do a kitchen floor of recycled marmoleum.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Yay for blogging! I read several too, and if you love crafting and random interesting links, you should for sure check out www.notmartha.org and howaboutorange.blogspot.com

Oh yeah, and my blog marciedodd.blogspot.com (I feel so uncreative with that name, but it is too late to change it!)

It was fun to see you on Saturday!